Sunday, January 3, 2010

Christmas 2009

Wow, it's been a whirl wind the past couple weeks but it has been a lot of fun! Christmas was such a blast this year, I really wish it hadn't flown by so fast. It was so much fun with Clara, she was so excited and we really talked Santa up, "he's so nice" is what she says all the time so maybe next year she'll be brave enough to meet the old guy. We also took the time to read the story of Jesus every day so she knew it was his Birthday. Poor girl really wanted to go to his party. I think it will take a few years to get the concept that Christmas and his birthday are the same. Why did they have to throw Santa into the mix?? Anyways, here's a brief (ha!) recap of our Christmas festivities.

I think one of my favorite traditions is our annual cooking making/exchange party. These mean a lot to me because we have been doing this for so long! I remember sitting with my Great grandparents decorating cookies, Great Grandpa eating, Great Grandma would be telling us ours were the prettiest and her favorite. It's just such a great memory and especially now that my grandparents are back and my kids get to do it with their great grandparents. This year I tried helping my mom out a bit and made some of the cookies. I didn't realize how much work it is! I bet i spent about 10 hours baking and decorating cookies PRE cookie party. I really enjoyed it though and thankfully I'm starting my diet again this week because I've been eating way too many of those cookies. I was glad to see them go though wish they didn't all go in me :) I didn't get a picture of Clara decorating cookies, but she really enjoyed putting the sprinkles on, taking a bite, then walking away. She did that a couple times. It's such a mess but so worth it and thankfully only once a year.













Christmas Eve was a fun one, we had a Texas blizzard! That equals AWFUL drivers. I always make Robert drive because he has spent the most time in the snow and he is a lot more calm than me. He really did a great job keeping us safe and though he said we fished tailed over a dozen times, i only felt it once :) We even saw a guy run into the cement wall and then drive away. It was worth the drive to get to do our other family tradition of going to Christmas eve at the other set of grandparents house. We have also been doing this for as long as I can remember. The program has gotten shorter and the kids are getting older, but it's still such a fun tradition. I love visiting with my family, eating amazing food, and singing Christmas songs. And I'm really glad we made it there and back in one piece.

Christmas morning was the best this year. Clara is at the perfect age to really enjoy herself. She was a little timid at first. She sat on Robert's lap for about 10 minutes just staring at her presents, I don't think she believed us that Santa would really come or who he really was, but she thinks he's ok now :) It was fun playing Santa too. Robert and I had wrapped the presents about a week earlier so we didn't have to stay up all night, thankfully. We just got to sit and enjoy eating Santa's cookies. Santa snapped a picture of his handy work under the tree.











Kamryn was perfectly content with just the few things she got in her stocking, I don't know why we think she needs more. THough she and Clara have been enjoying her toys.

My favorite picture, everyone enjoying their gifts. We all got a little spoiled this year.




Classic Clara, doll in one hand, chocolate milk in the other




New Year's was a good time too. We got together with my brother and family, ate MORE good food, played Wii and just had a great time. Kamryn was a little startled by the noise :)



Christmas is now packed away, Clara made it out of the box, and we are enjoying the few extra pounds around the mid section. Thanks to our awesome family for all the great gifts, the good food, and the wonderful memories. We love you!!




No comments: